Outline of "Introduction of Construction Industry", Lectures for Construction Department, NTUST University in Taipei
1. Infrastructure Projects and the Economic Development:
1) Co-requisite to national development and economic growth.
2) Essential to the establishment and continued prosperity of related industries.
3) Civil engineers can be harbingers in establishment of meritocracies in young democracies.
4) However, construction contracts risk to become cash cow of crony capitalism and the contractor the accomplice of kleptocracy(reference: FPCA, Transparent International).
5) Contractors use survival as excuse to steal public money but the truth is construction lucrative, professionalism the only antidote to fight the greedy and impunity behind the organized corruption, though patience required.
6) Taiwan escaped endemic corruption in the construction works usually seen in the developing world.
7) Civil engineering is always considered as sort of physical science; but unlike manufacturing or IT industries, its origin and background attached to history, culture and custom of the vernacular country. One has to secure more humanities attainment when he want to be the company leader and industry visionary with "construction" is an art rather than a science in mind.
8) The implementation of public works should always be kind of choices rather than direct conviction that rngineers will decide. By rendering the new idea or criticize the existing things, he can shake, crumble, and change public perception incrementally further demonstrate the construction industry inot a yes or no scientific verdict.
2. How a freshman to start himself for a successful engineering career:
1) Think big, internationally; then prepare hard with grass root efforts.
2) Attitude decide everything. As engineer cdistinguish good and bad, right and wrong, anxiety and insouciance at early stage, he can take proper attitude to solve problem and retain a prominent position in the industry.
3) Understand how political institutions, social establishment, and interest groups exert influence on each other and solve their difference to make government functioning and economy progressing in a real world.
4) Identify own role in the future will be suject to uncertainty and things like licenses, certificates, and academic degrees can be useful that engineers should try to get as many as possible.
5) In many industries the talent shall start early and untainted by the business, however, the founders of construction enterprises normally have to accumulate work experience and build human connections.
6) The modern construction industry is governed with human distrust: terms of contracts, laws, certificates, checks, guarantees, tests, investigations and reports, as designed by "intrusive" white collars are used to elevate the antagonism between confronting parties.
3. Modern construction Industry and its Major Players: